Melbourne Cup: Without a Fight should battle on best
The race that stops a nation is here: the AUS$7.5 million Melbourne Cup (G1)! Scheduled for Tuesday, November 1 at Flemington, 23 horses are expected to line up to go two miles on the grass for Australia’s most prestigious race.
The history of the Melbourne Cup stretches all the way to when Archer won the first edition in 1861. Since then, some of the all-time greats have heard the roar of the Melbourne Cup crowd: Phar Lap, Makybe Diva, Rising Fast, Rain Lover, Vintage Crop, Hall Mark, Might and Power, and more.
It is one of the world’s great betting horse races, as well, with top-class horses and a huge field every year. Read on to get to know the top contenders in the field, and find out who to bet in the 2022 edition of the Melbourne Cup!
Betting the 2022 Melbourne Cup Online
With such a big field, picking a winner of the Melbourne Cup is exciting. However, before you start to handicap the race, you need to find the best place to bet the Melbourne Cup online. There are many options, and choosing the best online racebook is the best way to maximize your profits for the Melbourne Cup and beyond.
You have many choices for online wagering, but our expert racebook reviews are here to help you make sense of those options and make the best choice. All of our recommended racebooks are trusted sites with market-leading odds and smooth user interfaces.
Our betting experts will also help you choose the site with the best horse racing bonuses for you. Each site offers incentives like deposit and sign-up bonuses, horse racing rebates, and referral benefits. Taking a short time now to find the one that fits your betting style the best can mean huge profits in the future, so let our experts help you choose the right racebook today!
The Best Online Racebooks
Here are the best online sportsbooks for playing the 2022 Melbourne Cup:
|Rank||Racebook||Bonus||Review||Link to site|
|#1||$250 Free Bet on Props + Head-to-Heads||VISIT RACEBOOK!|
|#2||100% Sign Up Bonus - Up to $500||VISIT RACEBOOK!|
|#3||50% up to $1,000 + $25 Risk Free Bet + 7% Rebates||VISIT RACEBOOK!|
Melbourne Cup Handicapping
Now that you have your account created, it is time to pick a winner in the 2022 Melbourne Cup! Read on to get to know the field and find out who the best contenders are.
Melbourne Cup 2022 Field
This is the official field for the 2022 Melbourne Cup including betting numbers, post positions, trainers, and jockeys:
- Gold Trip (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace/Mark Zahra) - Post 14
- Duais (Edward Cummings/Hugh Bowman) - Post 10
- Knights Order (Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott/Tim Clark) - Post 24
- Montefilia (David Payne/Jason Collett) - Post 11
- Numerian (Annabel Neasham/Tommy Berry) - Post 7
- Without a Fight (Simon and Ed Crisford/William Buick) - Post 18
- Camorra (Ben and J. D. Hayes/Ben Melham) - Post 17
- Deauville Legend (James Ferguson/Kerrin McEvoy) - Post 9
- Stockman (Joseph Pride/Sam Clipper) - Post 2
- Vow and Declare (Danny O’Brien/Blake Shinn) - Post 4
- Young Werther (Danny O’Brien/Damien Lane) - Post 21
- Hoo Ya Mal (Gai Waterhouse and Adrien Bott/Craig Williams) - Post 15
- Serpentine (Robert Hickmott/John Allen) - Post 23
- Daqiansweet Junior (Phillip Stokes/Daniel Moor) - Post 13
- Grand Promenade (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace/Harry Coffey) - Post 1
- Arapaho (Bjorn Baker/Rachel King) - Post 19
- Emissary (Michael Moroney/Patrick Moloney) - Post 3
- Lunar Flare (Grahame Begg/Michael Dee) - Post 12
- Smokin’ Romans (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace/Jamie Kah) - Post 16
- Tralee Rose (Simon Wilde/Dean Yendall) - Post 22
- Point Nepean (Robert Hickmott/Wayne Lordan) - SCRATCHED - Post 20
- High Emocean (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace/Teo Nugent) - Post 8
- Interpretation (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace/Craig Newitt) - Post 6
- Realm of Flowers (Anthony and Sam Freedman/Damien Thornton) - Post 5
Though there will be pari-mutuel pools on the Melbourne Cup, your best bet is to play the Melbourne Cup online at a trusted sportsbook. Since online sportsbooks offer fixed-odds wagering, you can lock in the best price at the moment you place your bet. That way, even if prices fluctuate closer to post time, you are secure in knowing that you have the best price on your Melbourne Cup winner!
|Without a Fight||+1000|
|Realm of Flowers||+1300|
|Hoo Ya Mal||+1300|
Melbourne Cup Best Bet
The best bet in the 2022 Melbourne Cup is Without a Fight. Though the Simon and Ed Crisford trainee was well beaten in the far tougher Sheema Classic (G1) in Dubai, he has been strong in four starts since, including a pair of wins over 1 ¾ miles at York. He also excels over rain-affected going, something that helps his chances given the wet forecast for Tuesday in Melbourne.
Melbourne Cup Favorites
The likely favorite in the Melbourne Cup is Deauville Legend. He brings strong European form to the race, including a decisive win last out going about 1 ½ miles in the Great Voltigeur (G2) at York. Anything past 2,600 meters is a question mark, and he is untested on rain-soaked going, which he likely gets. He looks like an underlay.
Gold Trip will be well bet due to the class of his recent races, as he has been clashing with top-level horses in his last three despite having just one win to his name. He does perform over ground with some cut, and he acquitted himself well two back in the 2400-meter Caulfield Cup. But, he typically finishes underneath and should be relegated to exotics at most.
Realm of Flowers was supposed to race in the Melbourne Cup last year, but injury kept her out. She has recovered and is as good as ever. She comes in off of an excellent third in the Metropolitan (G1) over 2400 meters. She does well over rain-affected going, and is expected to be able to stay.
Melbourne Cup Exotic Horses
Montefilia has made a career out of showing up in major races; she may not always win them, but she is a horse who tends to show up for a check on important days. The two miles is a question, but she does well over any kind of ground and has a good tactical style.
Two others to consider for underneath shares are Lunar Flare and Arapaho. Lunar Flare will handle the heavier ground and is improving as she steps up in trip. Arapaho, a slow-to-heavy ground specialist, was beaten less than three lengths in the Metropolitan (G1) two back and looked like she was going the right way when stepped up in trip last out.
2022 Melbourne Cup Free Picks
Now that you know where and how to bet the race online, here are the best bets for Saturday’s 2022 Melbourne Cup:
- $20 to win - #6 Without a Fight
- $1 exacta key - #6 Without a Fight with #4 Montefilia, #16 Arapaho, #24 Realm of Flowers
- $0.50 trifecta key - #6 Without a Fight with #4 Montefilia, #16 Arapaho, #18 Lunar Flare, #24 Realm of Flowers
- $0.20 superfecta key - #6 Without a Fight with #1 Gold Trip, #4 Montefilia, #16 Arapaho, #18 Lunar Flare, #24 Realm of Flowers
Melbourne Cup Post Time
Post time for the 2022 Melbourne Cup is scheduled for 3:00pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time on Tuesday, November 1, which converts to midnight Eastern Daylight Time or 9:00pm Pacific time. The race is the seventh on Flemington’s 10-race card.