King's Plate 2023: Elysian Field can hold Woodbine Oaks form against boys
- Category :
The most eagerly-awaited betting horse race of the Canadian horse racing year is coming up Sunday, August 20: the King’s Plate at Woodbine! Long known as the Queen’s Plate during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, the 1 ¼-mile Tapeta race is now the King’s Plate in honor of King Charles III.
No matter which royal it is named after, it is still the longest continuously-run race in North America and the first jewel of the Canadian Triple Crown. The 2023 King’s Plate field drew a colossal field of 17 Canada-bred sophomores (plus two also eligible) to run for the $1 million purse. Favorites include American Grade 2 winner Kalik and beaten Plate Trial favorite Stanley House, but with such a huge field it could go many ways!
Keep reading to find out who can keep their Canadian Triple Crown hopes alive, and find out the best places to bet the 2023 King’s Plate online.
Betting the 2023 King's Plate Online
For King’s Plate day, our first step toward a profitable experience is to choose the best place to bet horse racing online. All the options can make the decision seem difficult. However, our experts are here to help you make your betting decision easy. Read our online racebook reviews to find out the best places to bet horse races at Woodbine and all over the world all year long.
All our recommended racebooks have the basics: a great user interface, market-leading odds, and trusted deposits and payouts. Our reviews can also help you select the best betting bonuses for your betting style including rebates, sign-up bonuses, deposit bonuses, and referral incentives. This can build your bankroll by hundreds or even thousands of dollars!
The Best Online Racebooks
These are your best options to create an account and play the 2023 King's Plate:
King's Plate Handicapping
With your betting account all set up, your next steps are to meet the field and start handicapping the 2023 King's Plate.
King's Plate 2023 Field
This is the official field for the 2023 King's Plate including draw numbers, trainers, jockeys, and morning lines:
- Stanley House (Michael De Paul/Javier Castellano) - 4/1
- Elysian Field (Mark Casse/Sahin Civaci) - 8/1
- Philip My Dear (Kevin Attard/Daisuke Fukumoto) - 30/1
- Twin City (Stuart Simon/Gary Boulanger) - 30/1
- Morstachy’s (Renico Lafond/Leo Salles) - 50/1
- Kalik (Chad Brown/Kazushi Kimura) - 3/1
- Velocitor (Kevin Attard/Justin Stein) - 30/1
- Wickenheiser (Kevin Attard/Rafael Hernandez) - 12/1
- Silent Miracle (John Mattine/Ryan Munger) - 30/1
- Midnight in Malibu (Sid Attard/Adam Beschizza) - 30/1
- Touch’n Ride (Layne Giliforte/Jose Campos) - 12/1
- Cool Kiss (Michael de Paulo/Emma-Jayne Wilson) - 30/1
- Paramount Prince (Mark Casse/Patrick Husbands) - 10/1
- Twowaycrossing (Roger Attfield/Antonio Gallardo) - 30/1
- Kaukokaipuu (Ted Holder/Rico Walcott) - 6/1
- El Cohete (Michael De Paulo/Eswan Flores) - 50/1
- Moon Landing (Kevin Attard/Luis Contreras) - 20/1
- Enjoythesilent (Kevin Attard) - 50/1 - ALSO ELIGIBLE
- Runaway Charlie (Michael J. Doyle) - 50/1 - ALSO ELIGIBLE
Be sure to follow the King’s Plate odds at your chosen racebook. That gives you a real advantage: online racebooks give you fixed-odds betting on major races, meaning you can lock in the price when you bet. This is better than playing at the track, since you don’t know the on-track odds until the moment the gates fly open.
King's Plate Contenders
In-form fillies tend to do well in the Plate, and Elysian Field has that going for her. She handled a field of 14 in the Woodbine Oaks on July 23, rallying from midfield and winning by 2 ¼ lengths. She did that from a relatively inside post as well, making her gate for the Plate look like something she can overcome. She also has a pedigree that appeals on both sides for the stretch out to 1 ¼ miles.
Class-dropping Kalik will be the favorite, making him one of the less exciting horses in the win pool in such a competitive race. However, he would be no surprise and he certainly belongs in exotic tickets. With a Grade 2 win two starts back he is the class of the field, and he gets high-percentage rider Kazushi Kimura in the irons. Though he is not the only speed horse in the field, his maiden win suggests he does not need the front.
Wickenheiser is the other filly coming out of the Woodbine Oaks. She rallied from near last to finish second to Elysian Field. Her pedigree screams distance top and bottom, and she is proven on the Tapeta. She should get at least an honest pace this time as well, and she is reunited with jockey Rafael Hernandez, who shows up frequently on big days at Woodbine.
King's Plate Exotics Horses
Touch’n Ride faces winners for the first time, but is going the right way. He rallied and kept on to finish an in-range third on debut July 1 on grass, then stepped forward to win on the all-weather July 30 in stalk-and-pounce fashion. He has pedigree upside for the stretch out in trip, and though the class is a question since he does face winners, he did beat open company and these are all Canada-breds. He could get a piece.
Instead of preparing against Canada-breds in the Plate Trial, Kaukokaipuu took his final tune-up in the Marine (G3), finishing only ½ length behind the winner. It raises some questions that he was lugging in and outfinished late over a shorter distance, but his pedigree suggests that he could do better in this second time at two turns, and he won in a field of 12 Canada-breds two back in the Queenston.
2023 King's Plate Free Picks
You have chosen your best option for playing the race, and you have gotten to know the best contenders. Now, there’s just one thing left to do: place your bets on the King’s Plate!
These are the expert best bets for Friday’s 2023 King's Plate:
- $20 to win - #2 Elysian Field
- $1 exacta box - #2 Elysian Field, #6 Kalik, #8 Wickenheiser
- $0.50 trifecta box - #2 Elysian Field, #6 Kalik, #8 Wickenheiser, #11 Touch’n Ride
- $0.20 superfecta key - #2 Elysian Field, #6 Kalik, #8 Wickenheiser, #11 Touch’n Ride, #15 Kaukokaipuu
King's Plate Post Time
Post time for the 2023 King's Plate is scheduled for 5:39 p.m. EDT on Sunday, August 20. The race is the 10th on Woodbine’s marathon 13-race card.