Kentucky Derby Picks 2020
- Category :
This is the place to find Kentucky Derby Picks for 2020. The Kentucky Derby is the most famous horse race in the world. The 1 1/4-mile contest on dirt is for three-year-olds and is worth $3 million. Historically run on the first Saturday in May, the 2020 Kentucky Derby will take place on September 5 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. Tiz the Law will be heavily favored to take on up to 19 rivals.
|Kentucky Derby 2020 Future Odds|
Tiz the Law
Kentucky Derby Predictions
It doesn’t matter how many Kentucky Derby predictions you have, you have to know where to bet the Kentucky Derby online. Choose a sportsbook to suit your needs, especially one offering bonuses this time of year. There are lots of good choices out there, so look for cashback and other sign up bonuses.
|#1||$250||$250 Free Bet on Props + Head-to-Heads||REVIEW||PLAY NOW|
|#2||100%||100% Sign Up Bonus - Up to $500||REVIEW||PLAY NOW|
|#3||$1000||50% up to $1,000 + $25 Risk Free Bet + 7% Rebates||REVIEW||PLAY NOW|
|#4||13%||Up to 13% Weekly Loyalty Rewards||PLAY NOW|
|#5||9%||9% Daily Cash Rebates on Exotics||PLAY NOW|
|#6||$250||50% sign-up bonus up to $250||REVIEW||PLAY NOW|
|#7||$300||100% sign-up bonus up to $300 + 8% rebate||REVIEW||PLAY NOW|
|View moreView less|
Free Kentucky Derby Expert Picks
Here are your free Kentucky Derby expert picks for the 2020 Kentucky Derby:
- $30 Win: Thousand Words
- $5 Win/Place/Show: Shirl’s Speight, Authentic, Tiz the Law
- $1 Exacta Key: Thousand Words with Shirl’s Speight, Authentic, and Tiz the Law
- 20 Cent Superfecta: Thousand Words, Shirl’s Speight, Authentic, Tiz the Law, Winning Impression, and Storm the Court
Kentucky Derby Handicapping
When handicapping the Kentucky Derby, it is important to know the Kentucky Derby contenders.
The Kentucky Derby in 2020 has one major favorite taking on a group of next-tier horses. That favorite is Tiz the Law, winner of the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes, Runhappy Travers, and Florida Derby already this year. Last year he won the Grade 1 Champagne. But Tiz the Law’s lone career loss came at Churchill Downs. It is possible he simply doesn’t handle the surface there, much like racing greats Skip Away and Holy Bull. That’s why there is value in playing other horses aside from Tiz the Law.
Thousand Words is the forgotten horse in the 2020 Kentucky Derby. A $1 million purchase, he was a top-class juvenile and was an early Derby favorite before a couple of losses earlier this year made him drop from the scene.
Thousand Words came back to defeat Santa Anita Derby (G1) winner Honor A. P. in the Shared Belief Stakes at Del Mar. That signaled he is back and ready for the big time. His trainer, Bob Baffert, has won the Kentucky Derby five times already.
The top Canadian horse is Shirl’s Speight, who is unbeaten in two starts. The son of Speightstown and Churchill Downs Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (G1) winner Perfect Shirl broke his maiden on the grass before winning the Marine Stakes (G3) on the synthetic.
Another Canadian-type horse is Enforceable. Canadian Hall of Fame trainer Mark Casse conditions the son of Tapit, who is a half-brother to New Year’s Day, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, and sire of Maximum Security, who crossed the Derby finish line first in 2019 before being disqualified.
Baffert also starts TVG Haskell (G1) winner Authentic. An impressive winner of the Sham Stakes earlier this year, Authentic was beaten by Honor A. P. in the Santa Anita Derby after beating that rival in the San Felipe (G2) in March. Authentic beat Ny Traffic by a nose in the Haskell.
There are several live Derby longshots, such as Winning Impression, whose trainer Dallas Stewart has hit the board with Derby longshots twice before, and Storm the Court. The Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1) champion of 2019 has not yet won this year but has been getting closer and his late run could suit this race.
Kentucky Derby Trifecta Picks
- $5 Trifecta Key: Thousand Words with Tiz the Law, Authentic, and Shirl’s Speight
- $1 Trifecta Box: Thousand Words, Tiz the Law, Authentic, Shirl’s Speight, and Winning Impression
Kentucky Derby Analysis
The field for the 2020 Kentucky Derby with jockeys and trainers is:
- Tiz the Law: Barclay Tagg / Manny Franco
- Art Collector: Tom Drury / Brian Hernandez, Jr
- Honor A. P.: John Shirreffs / Mike Smith
- Authentic: Bob Baffert / John Velazquez
- Thousand Words: Bob Baffert / Florent Geroux
- Caracaro: Gustavo Delgado / Javier Castellano
- King Guillermo: Juan Carlos Avila / Samy Camacho
- Max Player: Steve Asmussen / Ricardo Santana, Jr
- Enforceable: Mark Casse / Adam Beschizza
- Ny Traffic: Saffie Joseph, Jr / Paco Lopez
- Shirl’s Speight: Roger Attfield / Corey Lanerie
- Attachment Rate: Dale Romans / Joe Talamo
- Finnick the Fierce: Rey Hernandez / Martin Garcia
- Major Fed: Greg Foley / James Graham
- Necker Island: Chris Hartmann / Miguel Mena
- Sole Volante: Patrick Biancone / Luca Panici
- Storm the Court: Peter Eurton / Julien Leparoux
- Winning Impression: Dallas Stewart / Joe Rocco, Jr.
Post positions will be drawn on September 2 for the 2020 Kentucky Derby.
Kentucky Derby Undercard Picks
There are six rich stakes races on the Kentucky Derby undercard. Here are some free picks:
- $200,000 Iroquois (G3): Therideofalifetime, Pico d’Oro
- $500,000 American Turf (G2): Field Pass, Smooth Like Strait
- $500,000 Derby City Distaff (G1): Serengeti Empress
- $500,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (G2): Beau Recall, Daddy Is a Legend
- $500,000 Pat Day Mile (G2): Rushie, Echo Town
- $1 million Old Bourbon Forester Turf Classic (G1): Digital Age